Monday, December 19, 2005

Senator Jay Rockefeller, the vice-chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee sent this handwritten letter to Vice President Cheney on July 17, 2003, after being told by Cheney of the covert domest NSA domestic spying program.

Unbelievable. Some excerpts:

I am writing to reiterate my concern regarding the sensitive intelligence issues we discussed today.

Clearly the activities we discussed raise profound oversight issues. As you know, I am neither a technician or an attorney. Given the security restrictions associated with this information, and my inability to consult staff or counsel, on my own, I feel unable to fully evaluate, much less endorse these activities...

I am retaining a copy of this letter in a sealed letter envelope in the secure spaces of the Senate Intelligence Committee to ensure I have a record of this communication.

No comments: